dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What techniques do the VH puzzles require?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gohast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: What techniques do the VH puzzles require? Reply with quote

I've just started back into trying the VH puzzles. I've been reading the discussion threads here on each puzzle as a guide and have got a bit confused. X wing, XY wing and XYZ wing are ok, as are Unique Rectangles but I've seen reference to Skyscrapers and APE's recently. Question How many techniques do I have to know to do the VH's?

TIA - Graham

BTW for anyone thinking of trying VH's I found the explanations at
http://www.brainbashers.com/sudokuhelp.asp
really clear.

Last edited by gohast on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

The VH puzzles are all supposed to be solvable with X, XY and XYZ-Wings. However, people use a variety of techniques for various reasons. One reason might be that they like to look for other techniques to use, another might be that the sequence in which they look for techniques can turn up things other than the required ones. Thus, many of the threads talk about numerous techniques for the same puzzle.

Good luck as you return to the world of the VHs. Don't hesitate to make a comment or ask a question, the more the merrier.

Marty
gohast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marty. I understand that other people use more advanced techniques, just wondering how many I had to know to do them. It is starting to come together, at last........ Smile
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO... if you go back through the archives of VH puzzles, I felt there was a subtle increase in difficulty at some point

for example, in some of the earliest posts there was only talk about naked pairs and hidden pairs , triples, etc for VH

then it started to change to discussions on wings. to me, this suggests a subtle change, not much of a change, but just enough to warrant my interest in other techniques and thus my total addiction.
gohast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. At one point I could do the VH puzzles 75% of the time. Then that changed, I couldn't do them at all. Not having time to follow up the Wings etc. I stopped doing them. A week off in lovely peacful Sligo, laptop, wifi and lots of coffee are the answer. Laughing
keith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 2, 2006 was the first "Very Hard" that required a wing. It could also be solved by Unique Rectangles. Here is the discussion:

http://www.dailysudoku.co.uk/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=722

Keith
keith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gohast wrote:
Thanks Marty. I understand that other people use more advanced techniques, just wondering how many I had to know to do them. It is starting to come together, at last........ Smile

gohast,

IMHO:

Find out what an X-wing is. In time, like Marty and me, you will learn to despise them.

Learn an XY-wing. They are quite useful. Also, if you start by only doing pencil marks for cells that have only two candidates, you can spot them early.

Next, fill in candidates in cells where there are three. And learn about XYZ-wings.

Next, figure out "Skyscrapers", aka turbot fish or kites. Two strong links. In no time at all you will be "coloring".

Finally, study up on W-wings and M-wings. These are ways to easily construct short chains.

- OR -

Just do the puzzles you enjoy. Find a reliable source, and have fun!

Keith
gohast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith

I am studying to get my wings Laughing Why do you despise the X variety?

Graham
Marty R.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like looking for X-Wings, it seems more tedious than looking for other patterns. But I love them when I find them.
keith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gohast wrote:
Hi Keith

I am studying to get my wings Laughing Why do you despise the X variety?

Graham

I think it's because I am a pattern man. I think X-wings are very difficult to find, especially if there are many unsolved cells. Difficult to find in real puzzles, even though they are easy to program.

I would rank X-wings as more difficult than XY-, XYZ, and even W-wings. Others may disagree.

But, show me a potential Deadly Pattern, with a couple of strong links, and some unique logic: I am in heaven!

Keith
gohast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, X wings are easy to understand but hard to spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: