dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

18 June

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kragzy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: 18 June Reply with quote

One X-wing and it falls apart.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was a skyscraper. A very unusual puzzle in that there were no freebies at the start.
nataraj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 18 June Reply with quote

kragzy wrote:
One X-wing and it falls apart.

Yes, but it takes some time to wade through the basics at the beginning. Took me a while to even start looking for colorful possibilities, and the grid was still well filled ...

I found such exotic animals as a naked quint (3,4,6,8,9 ) in col 8, a naked quad (4,5,6,8 ) in col 2, a w-wing (68 r5c1,r7c7 via strong link 6 in row 9), and a useless xy-wing 36-68-38 that can be transported to 68 in r7c7.
None of that really helped, until I found the lucky six.
cgordon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I counted only 9 basic steps (naked singles) before the one little x-wing crushed it like a bug. Bravo little x-wing!
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very weird, had a hard time using the draw/play. I saw a different skyscraper on 6 early on, not the one that solves it. but even after that, I had to really scratch and claw.
sudocraz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this puzzle. Smile It is not often that this kind of puzzle comes along. My husband and I do not understand xy wings, skyscrapers, coloring, etc. When these puzzles come along we either guess or don't do them. Sad What we do understand are x-wings, UR#1 and bug removal.
It would be nice if there were puzzles rated Hard, Very Hard with x-wings, and URs, and Extra Hard with xy wings, etc.

Does anybody else feel the same way?
nataraj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sudocraz wrote:

It would be nice if there were puzzles rated Hard, Very Hard with x-wings, and URs, and Extra Hard with xy wings, etc.

Does anybody else feel the same way?

sudocraz, hello and welcome to the forum!

That is an interesting idea. The number of techniques beyond what we call "basics" here (which are, in effect, hidden singles, naked and hidden pairs, triples etc. and box/line interaction) is large. Therfore any classification into very hard, fiendish, super very hard, impossible, and so on must be arbitrary. Some, who have mastered a certain technique, will want to include this method into the classification, others will want to leave it out.

Ultimately, to please everyone, the puzzle would have to provide exact information which techniques are necessary to solve it. That would be rather impractial, I believe (so many puzzles have more than one solution path) and - at least for me - would take a large part of the fun out of solving these puzzles. Already I am not quite happy to know in advance that all "very hard"s can be solved with x-wing or xy-wing.

I am sure that with a little practice you will be able to spot the xy-wings as easily as the x-wings. There are some people here who even think that xy-wings are much easier to spot thanx-wings because one only has to look at the cells with two candidates to find xy-wings...

As with any pattern based methods, some people prefer one set of patterns, others have a very hard time finding them.

Take hidden pairs for example: I can NEVER ever find them (I find the complementing naked quads Smile ).

Take care!
sudocraz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nataraj,

Thank you for the welcome.
I understand what you mean, and to tell the truth the fun is really in finding out how the puzzle may be solved.
My husband and I never bother with easy and medium puzzles, as they don't have enough of a challenge. I will keep on looking in on the forum and hope to learn how to do the xy wings.

Smile Regards
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will keep on looking in on the forum and hope to learn how to do the xy wings.

Sheila, I'll add a welcome too. There are any number of people here who would be happy to help you with the XY-Wing or any other technique. If you feel like perusing web sites, there are countless numbers of them that describe solving techniques.

Here's one description of the XY-Wing.

http://www.brainbashers.com/sudokuxywing.asp
sudocraz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marty

Thank you for the lead. That explanation from Brain Bashers is good. I think that I am finally beginning to understand the logic behind the xy wing. Now all I have to do is get some practice to make certain that I really do understand. Very Happy

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: