dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Completely stumped on 17 Dec hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guest - T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Completely stumped on 17 Dec hard Reply with quote

Help!

If anyone has the time to figure this out for me I would appreciate it. I was stumped on this puzzle for days - kept starting over in case I had made a fatal error - and the same result each time meant I was at a dead end. The only way I could finish was to get one hint and the rest was easy. I want to know how to get that cell with the available possibilities!

Here is what I had when I was stumped. I'll place a * in the spot where the hint said there should be a 3.

5-- --3 -8-
73- --4 -5-
214 --- -*-
-52 --7 6-8
-87 6-2 315
6-- 5-- 2--
--- --- 82-
82- 4-- -69
-7- 82- --1

I looked for x and xy wing and triplets to no avail.
Thanks! T
Steve R

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a fresh look at row 3. The 5 and the 8 are confined to r3c5 and r3c6.
The only place left for 6 in this row is in column 9. Then the only place for 3 in the top right-hand box is r3c8.

Steve
David Bryant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Another approach Reply with quote

Steve R is right. Here's another way to look at it.

The only possibilities at r3c4 are {7, 9}. The only possibilities at r3c7 are {7, 9}. The only apparent possibilities at r3c8 are {3, 7, 9}, but the {7,9} are ruled out by the naked pair in row 3. dcb
Guest - T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Thank you dcb and Steve Reply with quote

I finally see the camouflaged pairs - they were pretty sneaky!

Thanks again, T
boweasel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really appreciate an answer on this. I've only been doing these puzzles for about a month, and there must be some bit of logic that I've simply failed to grasp.

R2c8. He has a 5 in that spot, while I had it as being either a 5 OR a 9.

I did, however, have an 8 in r2c3.

Other than those 2 differences our 'solutions' were the same at the time we became stumped.

I can get no further in this puzzle without resorting to trial and error. Please, how does one eliminate the 9 from consideration at r2c8?

I'm ashamed to admit that I had to create a grid of possibilities to get past this roadblock. Even the grid didn't help but I'd be more than willing to show it if it will help.

Bo
mothermac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know this, too!

Molly
David B.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Why it's a "5" at r2c8 Reply with quote

Boweasel wrote:
Please, how does one eliminate the 9 from consideration at r2c8?

Take a closer look at columns 7, 8, & 9. In particular, think about the middle right 3x3 box.

-- The middle right 3x3 box must contain a "9".

-- That "9" can't fit in column 7 because r4c7, r5c7, & r6c7 are already occupied by other digits.

-- That "9" can't fit in column 9 because there's already a "9" in r8c9.

-- Therefore the "9" in the middle right 3x3 box must lie in column 8.

-- We conclude that there cannot be a "9" at r2c8 -- if there were a "9" in that spot, there would be no way to place a "9" in the middle right 3x3 box. dcb

PS Sorry to be posting as a guest, but something seems to be messed up with my login right now -- the system logs me out as soon as I select a topic to view.
mothermac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, David.

Molly
boweasel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible...

One reads the forums about puzzles that one has already easily (well, relatively easily) solved, and wonders about people who've missed what seem to be obvious clues...

It's a bit sobering when the shoe is on the other foot...

Thank you David. I, of course, have no idea how I missed seeing what now seems to be as plain as the nose on my face.

Sheepishly,

Bo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: