dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie that's hooked and needs advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffycoffee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Newbie that's hooked and needs advice Reply with quote

Right,
Hello everyone.
I have been bitten by the Sudoku bug. It happened only 3 weeks ago during a trip abroad, and now I can't get enough. If I try hard, I can limit myself to a daily puzzle, but once I start it, I cannot admit defeat. Hence this post. I confess to probably jumping in over my head with "hard" and "very hard" levels, but my nature is to finish what I have started. Okay, okay... I will try and back up to "medium levels" until I earn my Sudoku legs, but for now, I shout HELP on the Wed 5-Apr-2006 Daily - Hard.
Now I know I am not far along, but here is my way too early stumper.

9 x 3 8 7 2 6 x x
x x x 9 x 5 x 2 x
x x x 4 x 1 9 x 8

x x 9 1 5 7 x x x
x x 5 3 2 4 1 x x
x x x 6 9 8 7 x x

3 x 1 7 x x x x x
x 9 x 2 x x x x x
x x 7 5 1 x 8 x 4

The hint (which I hated asking for by the way, Grrrr) said "5" in r8c1. But how can this be? I have it pegged for either a 4,5,6,8 AND I see r7c2 as a potential 5 as well... 2,4,5,6,8 in fact.

Feel free to tell me to pack it up and get back to the "mediums" where I belong, but as I said, I cant stop what I have started. Yes, I will practice more.

Additionally, after looking through this forum briefly, I encountered buzz words like "hidden singles" and "something or other pairs"... do I need a Sudou for dummies manual, please tell me it isn't so.
I am hoping that if I can learn a trick or two with the your help, I can work this through with practice and logic.

SOS and thank you.
fluffycoffee.
Steve R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: 5 April hard Reply with quote

Hello fluffycoffee.

Bad luck! You have stumbled on a pair.

Scan the seventh row for cells which might admit a 4 or an 8. Only two cells will serve so r7c2 and r7c5 are occupied by 4 and 8 in one or the other order.

As r7c2 does not contain 5, just one cell remains open to 5 in box 7.

Good luck with the rest!

Steve
Korky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Try the following:
First work out what 2 numbers must be in r9c1 and r9c2, then what 2 numbers must be in r8c8 and r8c9. This will enable you to place a number in r8c6.

Just to reassure you, I have solved every hard and very hard puzzle on this site without the use of elaborate techniques. You do need to know about pairs, though.
Good luck!
fluffycoffee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and Korky,
Ta, Cheers and a gool 'ole yank Thanks for taking the time to reply to a beginner post. The light bulb went on like I flipped the xx myself, but acknowledgement goes to the UK. I worked my way through the rest of the puzzle and look forward to the next. I'll keep reading the forum to pick up little kibbles when I can. Thanks again.
Your grateful Detroiter, fluffycoffee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: