dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Squirmbag + 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Squirmbag + 1 Reply with quote

I had a 6-fish yesterday and was researching to see if it had a name. The Wikipedia entry indicated there's no point in giving it a name in a 9x9 puzzle. Could someone explain that to me? Why would my 6-fish be paired with a swordfish? I just don't get it.

"# 5-fish : squirmbag - For 9×9 Sudoku, there's no in point naming higher-order (>4) fish, since every N-fish comes paired with a 9-N fish whose effect is the same (thus any 5-fish is paired with a jellyfish; any 6-fish with a swordfish; any 7-fish with an x-wing; any 8-fish with a hidden or naked single). Nevertheless, a 5-fish is occasionally called a squirmbag.
# 6+ fish : 6-gronk, 7-gronk.. [23] - these patterns are only useful for Sudoku larger than 9×9."
Steve R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Squirmbag + 1 Reply with quote

Marty, if you still have your 6-fish, it should be easy enough to find its dual.

The general scheme is this. Suppose, in an n x n puzzle, you have an m x m fish for X based on rows. The nature of the fish is that it also identifies m columns. These columns are the target columns in the sense that X can be eliminated from the target columns except where they intersect the base rows.

Now think about the other nm columns, those which are not targets. Where can X be placed? Only outside the base rows. So now we have nm columns in which X can be placed only in the nm rows which are not base rows. That is, we have an (nm) x (n m) fish based on columns. This is the dual fish. If your 6-fish was based on rows, there would be another fish based on the non-target columns.

This may be a little abstract. Bear in mind that fish are nothing to do with boxes (unless thy have fins); they otherwise relate entirely to columns and rows. So you can permute the columns and rows until a 5-fish based on rows looks like this:
Code:

---------------------
| X X X X X . . . . |
| X X X X X . . . . |
| X X X X X . . . . |
| X X X X X . . . . |
| X X X X X . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . . |
---------------------

The fish excludes X from the unmarked cells in columns 1 to 5 so all the Xs in rows 6 to 9 must fall in columns 6 to 9. Marking the possible cells with X gives a 4- fish based on columns 6 to 9:
Code:

---------------------
| . . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . X X X X |
| . . . . . X X X X |
| . . . . . X X X X |
| . . . . . X X X X |
---------------------

Once the eliminations are made, reverse the permutations and fill in the framework of the boxes to retrieve the puzzle proper.

I have simplified the position a little in an attempt at clarity. Once the principle is grasped, the next stage is to take account of any Xs which have already been inserted in the puzzle. If r Xs have been inserted, the puzzle becomes (nr) x (nr) for fishy purposes so the dual of an m x m fish is of dimension (n rm) x (n rm).

The dual of your 6-fish could be a swordfish (no X yet inserted), an X-Wing (a single X previously entered) or even, in theory, a single square.

Steve
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, thank you very much for taking the time and effort for that explanation.

I don't still have the 6-fish. All my puzzles are done with pencil and paper and there's no trail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: