dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interest in Sudoku?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Interest in Sudoku? Reply with quote

Is it just us? Or have all the forums gone dead?

Keith
daj95376

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the forums that I visit, participation is sparse for the most part.

Regards, Danny
Pat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in t=6010,
    i made several attempts to provoke discussion

but there's nobody biting
arkietech

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or do puzzles t=6056
cgordon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while - but out of curiosity I revisted this forum and was interested in the comments about declining interest.

For a few years I was an avid participant of the sudoku forums.
I can recall my banters with other posters such as Nataraj and Asellius where solving problems would lead to discussions on Austrian wine or American beer. There was a social context to the forum.

But then the VH forums seemed to lose sociabilty - to the point where the regular posts now seem to consist of one regular guy revealing an xy wing.
keith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cg,

I think its a trend. Social media are taking over the world.

People now get their side dose of social interaction somewhere else. It certainly does not help that this site's discussion software is years out of date (no fault of me or MartyR).

The action is now all on FaceBook and Twitter. Did you notice that even Wikipedia has a problem?

Best wishes,

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not understanding how social media contributes to a drop in Sudoku forum activity. Certainly my fishing forums are still going strong. On here the fact that the VHs haven't changed in years is a contributing factor, as is the fact that fewer puzzles are being posted. I've always had the feeling that too much high-level discussion might be turning off newer players and potential participants.
Orkamat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
I've always had the feeling that too much high-level discussion might be turning off newer players and potential participants.

Indeed. The forum seems like a collection of very private discussions between a handful of very high-level players. I don't even see where I would ask a question without feeling foolish.

I just read the posts and bless the posters of the occasional diagrams that let me hazard a guess as to what a fin, pincer, pivot or some such might be.

And when I do actually decipher how to recognize the pattern to which a term refers, and how the logic of its candidate elimination works, I grin broadly and bless you all.
keith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orkamat wrote:
Marty R. wrote:
I've always had the feeling that too much high-level discussion might be turning off newer players and potential participants.

Indeed. The forum seems like a collection of very private discussions between a handful of very high-level players. I don't even see where I would ask a question without feeling foolish.

I just read the posts and bless the posters of the occasional diagrams that let me hazard a guess as to what a fin, pincer, pivot or some such might be.

And when I do actually decipher how to recognize the pattern to which a term refers, and how the logic of its candidate elimination works, I grin broadly and bless you all.

Orkamat,

Post your questions! I am sure you'll be surprised by the response.

Keith
Orkamat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
Post your questions! I am sure you'll be surprised by the response.

Keith

Well ... my questions so far mostly consisted of "huh?" Smile

Take, for example, the posted solutions to Dec 2 VH. I thought I could recognize a couple of the patterns refered to (eg: that looks almost like an X-wing, so maybe that intersecting pair is the fin ...), but I couldn't discover any logic that would lead to the posted eliminations. If I can't follow the logic, I don't accept the conclusion, because that way leads to Scientology, party politics and other forms of insanity. I eventually solved the puzzle using what I believe you folks would call a "Simple Coloring on 3."

I have finally found what appears to be a good resource that might eventually take me from my current level of semi-naivete ("hard" puzzles are no longer a challenge, but "very hard" puzzles are mostly unsolvable) to a level where I might be able to ask an intelligent question. The resource is SudokuWiki.org. Can't say that I'm overly impressed with their puzzle solver, though. I want to call on it only when I get stuck, but it seems to misbehave if I want to take over for a while and then ask it for help again later.
keith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download Sudoku Susser. It is a great learning tool.

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Take, for example, the posted solutions to Dec 2 VH. I thought I could recognize a couple of the patterns refered to (eg: that looks almost like an X-wing, so maybe that intersecting pair is the fin ...), but I couldn't discover any logic that would lead to the posted eliminations. If I can't follow the logic, I don't accept the conclusion, because that way leads to Scientology, party politics and other forms of insanity. I eventually solved the puzzle using what I believe you folks would call a "Simple Coloring on 3."

Orkamat,

Maybe you're expecting too much of yourself? I don't want to accept a conclusion if I can't follow the logic either, but I can't follow the logic if I haven't learned it. Why not ask questions? What's a Finned X-Wing? XY-Wing? W-Wing? BUG+1? I have posted my version of the grid in that VH December 2 thread if you are interested in asking why people made the eliminations that they did.
Orkamat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:

Orkamat,

Maybe you're expecting too much of yourself? I don't want to accept a conclusion if I can't follow the logic either, but I can't follow the logic if I haven't learned it. Why not ask questions? What's a Finned X-Wing? XY-Wing? W-Wing? BUG+1? I have posted my version of the grid in that VH December 2 thread if you are interested in asking why people made the eliminations that they did.

I'm certain I would have started asking, if I hadn't found definitions online. I'm slowly learning the "new" forms. I especially love the Unique Rectangle; how deliciously devious to use the definition of a well-formed puzzle to eliminate otherwise perfectly valid candidates!

I noticed an interesting thing from the "after basics" diagrams that were added to the Dec 2 topic. I'm quite certain that I used Simple Coloring to eliminate 3 from R3C4 ... but this can't be done from those diagrams! So, either I hadn't quite finished the basics, leaving a lucky path to a valid coloring, or else I used bad logic to solve the puzzle.
arkietech

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orkamat wrote:

I noticed an interesting thing from the "after basics" diagrams that were added to the Dec 2 topic. I'm quite certain that I used Simple Coloring to eliminate 3 from R3C4 ... but this can't be done from those diagrams! So, either I hadn't quite finished the basics, leaving a lucky path to a valid coloring, or else I used bad logic to solve the puzzle.

Coloring will remove the 8 in r6c3 which will remove the 3 in r3c4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: