dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keith remembers the good old days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Keith remembers the good old days Reply with quote

This is from an e-mail conversation with a Sudoku co-conspirator:

Yes, it was such fun!

Years ago I noticed Sudoku puzzles in the newspaper. They seemed interesting. But, before I started, I did some research into the mathematics and solution techniques to find they truly are interesting.

So, I started solving them and encountered Marty and the Daily Sudoku site and a lot of people who have long since disappeared.

My first solution breakthrough was what I think they now call a Type 6 UR: A UR overlaid on an X-wing. At the time, it was a new finding!

I then wrote a tutorial on URs that has been referenced tens of thousands of times.

A while later George Woods on Daily Sudoku started pointing out this pattern that if two cells XY are connected by a strong link in Y, they are pincers on X. I took the time to write that down. I am not sure that I invented the name of W-wing, which of course is a tribute to George. That is another tutorial I wrote that has been referenced tens of thousands of times. (I learn things by trying to explain them.)

Some time later, the idea of Medusa Coloring came up. I well remember dropping the puzzle and driving to the local store to buy a box of colored crayons!

Later, I noticed a Medusa chain that was quite short: Two cells XY that are connected such that if one is X, both are X. So add a link on Y on either end and you have pincers on Y, an M-wing! The name is both a play on Medusa and the first letter of my surname.

It was left to others like Nataraj, Ravel, and Asellus to point out that M-wings are quite rich (compared to W-wings) in that they can be asymmetric and also are often closed cycles.

I then wrote another tutorial on remote pairs that is pretty comprehensive for these wings.

http://www.dailysudoku.co.uk/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2143

It is disappointing to me that to discuss theory and the mildly hard puzzles that are interesting to advanced human solvers using pencil and paper, we now only have sites like "Sudoku Players" where many of the contributors seem to be mostly concerned with more advanced issues and with delivering insults.

I miss the collegial discussions we used to have here. Marty and I seem to be the last men standing!

But, thanks to all of you! It's been a good run.

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was left to others like Nataraj, Ravel, and Asellus to point out that M-wings are quite rich (compared to W-wings) in that they can be asymmetric and also are often closed cycles.

A small selection of other forums members who disappeared

Steve R, Mogulmeister, Johan, Storm Norm,
Wapati, Luke451, Re'born, and Tracy (Tkiel).
keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
Quote:

A small selection of other forums members who disappeared

Steve R, Mogulmeister, Johan, Storm Norm,
Wapati, Luke451, Re'born, and Tracy (Tkiel).

Yes. We must add David Bryant to our Hall of Fame.

Tracy Kiel was from Kalamazoo, MI, and was an early member who very much set the tone for the civil discussion on this Forum.

Keith
Mogulmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Well thanks for the namecheck Keith. Hope all are well within this forum which has happy memories for me (mostly) !

Apologies - I meant Marty!
enxio27

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the old days, when there was so much activity on the forums, and one could hardly keep up with the new material (especially new variations, gattai, etc.). Lots of people I miss seeing. . .
Mogulmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sic transit gloria mundi ..... but I do agree!
Mogulmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the philosophy discussions were very absorbing, especially as we had a properly multicultural set of presenters
Ghostrider13

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enxio27 wrote:
I miss the old days, when there was so much activity on the forums, and one could hardly keep up with the new material (especially new variations, gattai, etc.). Lots of people I miss seeing. . .

Same feeling...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: