dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want harder sudokus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sverre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: I want harder sudokus Reply with quote

Hi all!

I hope to get some help from you. Is there somewhere on internett where I can find standard/classic sudokus HARDER than the "Very hard" sudoku on this site?

This maybe sound a little arrogant, but I am honest. I really have problems finding sudokus giving me a REAL challenge.

Sverre
(An ordinary guy really)
AZ Matt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Harder Puzzles Reply with quote

I started here:

http://www.brainbashers.com/sudoku.asp

If the super hards there aren't hard enough try here:

http://www.sudocue.net/daily.php

If the nightmare's aren't hard enough... well, wow, you're good.
TKiel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here
Marty R.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.sudoku.com/au
CT Yankee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the soduku found here are among the hardest anywhere.
sverre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Harder Puzzles Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help. Now I can have fun again!

AZ Matt wrote:
If the nightmare's aren't hard enough... well, wow, you're good.

I think it is hard enough for me ... at this time. Little early to say because I have only solved one so far. Its solveable, but it gave me a challenge!

I have stored all the info you gave me. So now I know where I shall look when(ever) I again need harder puzzles Smile)))

Sverre
(currently busy with a "nightmare")
AZ Matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Yankeee Wrote:

Quote:
I don't know for sure, but I suspect the soduku found here are among the hardest anywhere.

Actually, CT, the puzzles here have a purposefully set difficulty limit. The are solvable with some, but not all of the more advanced solving techniques. The super hards at Brainbashers are one or two steps more difficult, and the nightmare's at Ruud's site are, well, as described (many would argue they are not solvable using logic alone - I won't argue with them, but they require, at least, advanced advanced techniques).

EDIT (9-15-06): I didn't catch the link to krazydad.com. Sorry CT. Embarassed

Last edited by AZ Matt on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ Matt wrote:
CT Yankeee Wrote:

Quote:

Actually, CT, the puzzles here have a purposefully set difficulty limit. The are solvable with some, but not all of the more advanced solving techniques. The super hards at Brainbashers are one or two steps more difficult, and the nightmare's at Ruud's site are, well, as described (many would argue they are not solvable using logic alone - I won't argue with them, but they require, at least, advanced advanced techniques).

I haven't tried any of the Krazydads. But my take is that many, if not most, sites have ratings that are overstated; they may not be overstated when compared to the ratings of other puzzles on their sites, but they are overrated compared to what the words mean to me.

The Super Hards at Brain Bashers are not super hard based on how I would interpret those words. I haven't done one in a few weeks, but I don't recall that they're particularly difficult.

Similarly, the Nightmares aren't what I would think they are when I think of what the word "nightmare" means to me. They're good puzzles, not easy, they often require a number of techniques that are regularly discussed here, but "nightmare"? I don't think so.

A few months ago I tried a couple of puzzles rated "Outlaw" from Paul's Pages. They were near-impossible, as I recall. The "Tough" puzzles from www.sudoku.com/au have often been difficult for me and that might be an exception, as "Tough" might be an understatement.
AZ Matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Nightmares Reply with quote

I think that Ruud's puzzles are fairly described as nightmares from the average solvers point of view. I would say the next category after nightmares is "pros and extreme hobbyists only"... And I totally agree, Marty; there are a lot of good puzzles "more difficult" than nightmares out there. I just wouldn't want a casual hobbyist to jump from the very hards here to the extreme puzzles.
CT Yankee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ Matt wrote:
CT Yankeee Wrote:

Quote:

I think you might have missed the fact that the word "here" in my post was linked to krazydad.com. I didn't mean right here at dailysudoku. Sorry about that, I should've used less ambiguous wording.

All of the sites that have been mentioned in this thread have puzzles that are pretty damn challenging. I did today's Nightmare and found it easier than the highest difficulty at krazydad, but I suspect everyone has their own favorite sites when it comes to the very hardest puzzles. One thing I have noticed is that some sites' puzzles seem to have a certain "feel" to them, some intangible factor that's unique to the puzzles from that site. Presumably this is due to differences in the algorithm used to create the sudoku at that site. I'm not claiming I could identify the origin of a given puzzle with any accuracy just by looking at the grid and doing the puzzle, but maybe the idea isn't completely far-fetched. There are a great variety of sudoku out there.
AZ Matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Oops... Reply with quote

Sorry, CT; I couldnt make out the link. Embarassed

I am working on a Krazydad insane right now, and it is pretty extreme...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: