dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussion level discouraging less advanced topics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you feel that the general level of discussion on this forum discourages others from asking questions about more basic techniques?
YES
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
NO
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

TKiel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Discussion level discouraging less advanced topics? Reply with quote

In regard to a recent discussion, I thought it might be nice to see if we can generate some data about whether posters are reluctant to post questions about topics that are not as advanced as most discussions on this forum. Any suggestions/comments for combating the issue are welcomed.
malaboman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: New to Sudoku Reply with quote

Hello All. I have been doing sudoku for some months now and find that I have hit a wall as high as a skyscraper (pun not intended). It seems that I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about mathematical logic. I can always get so far with a puzzle, then stop dead. Having read most of the posts on this site, I know why. I have never heard of X wings or W wings, bivalues, linked pairs, naked pairs, locked pairs, hidden triples, empty rectangles etc etc ad nauseam.

I always thought Sudoku was a pastime any reasonably educated person could do. How wrong I have been. Why did no one tell me I need a masters degree in Mathematics?

At 66 years of age I am unlikely to have 4 years to spare in which to go to University so all I have to look forward to is "X" years of part-completing any puzzles over EASY. How utterly frustrating and disappointing. All I've got left now to keep the grey matter in shape are difficult crossword puzzles.
malaboman
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Sudoku Reply with quote

malaboman wrote:
Hello All. I have been doing sudoku for some months now and find that I have hit a wall as high as a skyscraper (pun not intended). It seems that I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about mathematical logic. I can always get so far with a puzzle, then stop dead. Having read most of the posts on this site, I know why. I have never heard of X wings or W wings, bivalues, linked pairs, naked pairs, locked pairs, hidden triples, empty rectangles etc etc ad nauseam.

I always thought Sudoku was a pastime any reasonably educated person could do. How wrong I have been. Why did no one tell me I need a masters degree in Mathematics?

At 66 years of age I am unlikely to have 4 years to spare in which to go to University so all I have to look forward to is "X" years of part-completing any puzzles over EASY. How utterly frustrating and disappointing. All I've got left now to keep the grey matter in shape are difficult crossword puzzles.
malaboman

Hi malaboman and welcome to the forum. I hope you are open to the idea of learning some of the techniques you never heard of, as Sudoku puzzles can be a great source of pleasure. As a retiree, I have more time on my hands than many other people and these puzzles have made it easier to get through our long winters and fill in some down time in the summer when I'm not fishing or biking.

I am pretty good with numbers, but never took any courses beyond standard high school trig and algebra. I suspect many here are very good at math, but that's not a requirement to become a reasonably proficient player. At some point, every player never heard of the various wings, bivalues, rectangles and the like.

There are plenty of resources available if you have the desire to learn. Just google Sudoku techniques and you will find countless sites with explanations of techniques ranging from beginner to very advanced.

And, of course, there is this forum. If you ask a question, and you shouldn't hesitate in doing so, there are many people who are anxious to help. I do believe you were right the first time when you said, "I always
thought Sudoku was a pastime any reasonably educated person could do."

The help is out there if you're willing to accept it.

Good luck and I hope you stick around.
malaboman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: New to Sudoku Reply with quote

Martin
Thanks for that, yes, I'll stick with it for a while and see how things go.
Strangely enough I shall be starting work (full time) very soon after my residence permit here is in my passport.
Seems the local hospital is so short of HR management, they are willing to push the Immigration Department hard and get me a permit to work.
I came here to accompany my wife who is a senior nurse and was rather looking forward to being a kept man!! however the money will be very handy.
malaboman
Angel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi malaboman

Please don't get discouraged by reading all the various posts about different techniques.

Instead of reading theory I would suggest that you take a particular puzzle you are stuck on. Post here on this forum the position you have got to and ask for advice. People are happy to explain how to move forward (I have not been posting recently, but am happy to do so). I always think it is much easier to understand a technique if you've seen it applied to a particular puzzle you are familiar with - and then be told 'by the way this is an example of' ... It is then likely that you will spot this sort of pattern in your next puzzle (or the one after...).

Sometimes people only want a vague hint of how to proceed, other people want more detailed explanations, please feel free to ask for the level of help that is appropriate for you.
malaboman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: new to sudoku Reply with quote

Angel. Thanks for that. I shall try that, there are a couple of puzzles I have on the go now that are breaking my brain. However, I fear I shall have difficulty getting the grid on to this or another forum. Is there a "How to" section anywhere dealing with getting grids on a post, please?
TKiel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malaboman,

Look at this post in the 'Site help' forum. It's a sticky that describes how to do it. Plus, either of the moderators can edit your post to align the grid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: