dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10/17/06 Daily Puzzle: More "Coloring"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paladin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: 10/17/06 Daily Puzzle: More "Coloring" Reply with quote

Code:

+------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------------+
|                        |                         |                             |
|     2    168    158-   |      3     168      4   |        7        9      58+  |
|                        |                         |                             | 
|   458      3      9    |      2      68      7   |     4568       45       1   |
|   148   1468      7    |     89    1689      5   |      468        2       3   |
+------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------------+ 
|     6      2      3    |     49       7      8   |      459        1      45   |   
|   149      5     14    |      6       2      3   |       49        8       7   | 
|   489      7     48    |      5      49      1   |        2        3       6   |
|     7     48    458+   |      1     458-     9   |        3        6       2   |
|     3      9      6    |     48     458+     2   |        1        7     458-  | 
|  1458    148      2    |      7       3      6   |      458       45       9   |

This is the October 17th, 2006 Daily Sudoku puzzle.

After reducing the puzzle to the above configuration, I was unable to proceed.  After studying the puzzle, I "colored" on 5's and determined that r4c9 could not equal 5.  The chain sequence is marked in the above grid.   

Was this the most, or only, “logical” solution technique?

Thank you very much for your responses.

Paladin
TKiel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin,

It's kind of hard to read your grid because the lines fold around (which may be a problem with my browser but it's usually not an issue with this forum). Maybe having a few less spaces seperating the candidates would help.

There is also an X-wing on 5 at this point in the puzzle, although your colouring exclusion is just as valid. The X-wing says r4c7 has to be 5 which makes r4c9 a 4, your colouring says the same thing in reverse.
OhioSaba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: x-wing elimination Reply with quote

TKiel,

I am stuck at the same point. I saw the x-wing elimination of 4 from r4c7 and r8c5, but do not see how to eliminate the 9 so the square resolves to 5. Could you provide just a little more assistance for me?

Thanks
Marty R.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's kind of hard to read your grid because the lines fold around (which may be a problem with my browser but it's usually not an issue with this forum). Maybe having a few less spaces seperating the candidates would help.

Tracy, maybe it is your browser. The grid is nice and even and aligned as I view it with Firefox.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm seeing with regard to an X-Wing on "5." The X-Wing is in cols. 1 and 8. After eliminating the "5s" from col. 7, there is a triple on 468 in that column. That forces r5c7 to be "9" which forces r4c7 to be "5."
TKiel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhioSaba,

The X-wing I'm talking about is on 5 and it's in the rows and columns as noted above by Marty R, but I saw it as leaving r4c7 as a hidden single after the other 5's in column 7 are removed (R29c7). This makes r4c9 a 4. The X-wing on 4 makes the exclusions that you note but doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

Marty,

It may be the browser (IE) but I've not noticed a problem except for the last couple of posts that Paladin (who seems to have been MIA until recently) has made. Of course the kids are always changing settings, so it may be on my end.
OhioSaba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
This is what I'm seeing with regard to an X-Wing on "5." The X-Wing is in cols. 1 and 8. After eliminating the "5s" from col. 7, there is a triple on 468 in that column. That forces r5c7 to be "9" which forces r4c7 to be "5."

Marty,

I did not see the x-wing in columns 1&8 on 5s; I was too busy looking at 3&9 on 4s.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: