dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOL and "Petes corollary" re. puzzle of 21 June 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Squiggly puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdq_pete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: LOL and "Petes corollary" re. puzzle of 21 June 20 Reply with quote

The pattern of today's puzzle has appeared a number of times with different starting positions and different grades, from easy to very hard - today's happens to be Medium.
This particular pattern lends itself to what I think of as Petes Corollary to the Left-over Law. The LOL is invariably a powerful technique in virtually every squiggly. Simply stated, if you can draw a line through the matrix between any two rows or columns such that some traversed boxes 'protrude' on one or other side of the line and an equal number of such protruded cells appears on each side, then the cells on each side form a subset, and the content of each of these two subsets is the same. I would prefer to call this the Subset Rule.

What I call "Pete's Corollary" (or provisionally perhaps, "Pete's Postulate") is this. If you draw such a line and the number of protruded cells on one side is 9, then these nine cells form a complete set of the digits 1 - 9. At first sight this may not appear interesting but in fact it is probably as useful as the initial LOL. By inspecting what digits already occur in the set, occurrences in other parts of the set can be eliminated.
The pattern of today's puzzle is a good example. Horizontal lines cut off the protruding arms of the central boxes, each arm containing 3 cells.

Just thought I'd get this off my chest!

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Squiggly puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: