dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 7th v hard- yet another forcing function rather than....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Woods

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: May 7th v hard- yet another forcing function rather than.... Reply with quote

Once again I can't find the formal way of doing it, After 6 moves I am stuck - then see the Xwing in 3's - but it does not seem to help. Finally, just mucking around I look at box 9 that solves completely if r8c9 is 7 - but quickly gives a failure at r3c9 (trying to be both 6 and 3) so r9c8 is 7 ....

The only good thing is that draw/play appears to press on with much the same hint i.e. r8c3 is 7.

So maybe I did solve it the "official" way but cannot see the form of a recognised move! Can anyone help on this
Mesmin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x-wing opened a naked triple... After that it was basically just a straight forward grind to slowly piece together the rest of the puzzle. Didn't need any "advanced" techniques.

The triple is in Column 9.
George Woods

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks ! Reply with quote

I was too lazy to fill in the possibilities in col 9 - silly since this is one of the 2 columns where the X wing counts. and since my forcing function gave a conflict in col 9 I ought to have analysed that column. A good lesson on tactics for solving.

And of course the naked triplet in col 9 gives exactly the same continuation as my forcing function,

i.e. a pair of 7,s ..........

Thanks very much!
cgordon

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: May 7 VD Reply with quote

I am a neophyte sudokuist but got as far as only having one 7 in box 9 at r9c8. I failed to spot this (until reading post) - but from there it was plain sailing. But what is a "forcing function"? Sounds like a fancy term for a guess - which I thought was unecessary with the puzzles on this site.
farfel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: May 7 Reply with quote

OK, I give up. I found the x wings with the 3s and the naked triple in col 9 but now I dont understand why r6c8 is a 4. Can anyone explain? thankyou
farfel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind Rolling Eyes ...I knew after working on it for 2 days, that soon after I posted it I would find the solution. A hidden pair (27) in row 1, col 7 and 9 did the trick. I must be losing my touch. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: