dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 July VH
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgordon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if I've missed something here. But it seems that here we have traced a link from one 19 to another 19 such that IF the first cell is a 1 then the other has to be a 9 - and vice-versa. But surely a good technique should tell us which is the 1 and which is the 9 - right off the bat. Otherwise why not just go to the first 19 and say "let x = 1"and see where it goes. An assumption is an assumption. Again, apologies if I've missed the point.
keith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is:

Either R3C6 and / or R7C2 is <9>. Thus R3C2 cannot be <9>. Which causes a pair <16> in R3, which solves the puzzle because R3C6 is <9>, etc.

Keith
Asellus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Ponder This Reply with quote

I notice that a W-Wing could serve as a "Bridge" for a color wrap. The idea is of no use in the two examples in this thread, and I don't even know if such an occurrence exists. But, it would be neat if someone found one.

To clarify, borrowing Keith's schematic for the W-Wing:

<XY> -- <X-Strong Link-X> -- <XY>

For purposes of the W-Wing, we focus on the fact that one or both of the bivalue cells must be <Y>.

But, the converse statement that the bivalue cells cannot both be <X> qualifies them to serve as a Bridge for a Color Wrap on <X>.

I'll be on the lookout for one.
cgordon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - but I'll stick to the simple xy wing that was originally needed to solve this one. The above "W wing variations" seem like using a sledge-hammer to crack a walnut. Definitely wouldn't agree they are easier than xy wings or skyscrapers.
ravel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith wrote:
jLo said:
Quote:
In the July 2 puzzle there is a W-Wing with the pair "19"
So far as I can see, correct, but not so simple.
Hm. did you miss the strong link for 1 in column 1 ?
Code:
+--------------+-------------+-------------+
| 7   128 3   | 15  6   4   | 28  9   258 |
| 29  28  94   | 359 7   359 | 6   1   258 |
|#16  169$ 5   | 2   8   19@ | 4   3   7   |
+-------------+-------------+-------------+
| 4   7    9   | 6   5   23  | 1   28  238 |
| 38  5    28  | 13  4   12  | 9   7   6   |
| 36  26   1   | 7   9   8   | 23  5   4   |
| 5   19@  28  | 4   3   6   | 7   28  19  |
|#18  4    7   | 59  2   59  | 38  6   138 |
| 29  3    6   | 8   1   7   | 5   4   29  |
Asellus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravel,

I think the point was that there are many different ways to find the needed strong link. (There is also one in Row 1.)

From the "Y-Wing" link in your Other Puzzles post today, it is clear that the W-Wing is one example of gsf's more general category of "Y-Wing" (as are X-Wings, XY-Wings and almost all the commonly named techniques!). However, the "Y-Wing" discussion goes right over the head of most of us casual sudoku types... or at least this one! Still, gsf clearly described the "W-Wing" back in March and recommended it as an easy to spot method.
ravel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asellus wrote:
I think the point was that there are many different ways to find the needed strong link.
I see, sorry, i did not read all of the thread.
Quote:
From the "Y-Wing" link in your Other Puzzles post today, it is clear that the W-Wing is one example of gsf's more general category of "Y-Wing" (as are X-Wings, XY-Wings and almost all the commonly named techniques!). However, the "Y-Wing" discussion goes right over the head of most of us casual sudoku types... or at least this one! Still, gsf clearly described the "W-Wing" back in March and recommended it as an easy to spot method.
As i see it, Steve K first described it as an example of his "Y Wing styles", but i am not sure (when you search for "Y Wing", you get all threads with wings).
I only think to remember, that rep'nA used W-Wings calling them Y Wings (probably because there was no own name for this type of "Y Wing style"). Btw all his posts mysteriously vanished and he is now posting as "re'born" Smile
I also think, that it is rarely known, that W-Wings are rather common in puzzles and (as Marty demonstrated again) often easier to spot that xy-wings. So it is worth to be looked at as an own technique.
keith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravel wrote:
keith wrote:
jLo said:
Quote:
In the July 2 puzzle there is a W-Wing with the pair "19"
So far as I can see, correct, but not so simple.
Hm. did you miss the strong link for 1 in column 1 ?

Yes I did! And the one pointed out be Asellus!

I was looking for links which line up in a row or column, and neglected to look at those in the same box. A franken W-wing, I suppose.

Best wishes,
Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: