dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum Topics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

???
I'll try to explain again: worth considering having a new section of the forum restricted to discussion of 'basic' topics only?

Now I've decided myself, having thought about it, that this isn't a good idea, but it seems a hamless one. So, Storm_Norm, what DID I say to get you wound up? - that ERs are 'fancy'? Well, they are, where I come from: it's a good word, kind of 'cool with attitude'. I'm all for ERs etc., and think it's proper & good when somebody finds an unusual technique in a VH & mentions that. Sorry I upset you, but I can't figure out why - do tell.

As to the idea itself, ask yourself this question: does there exist a person who will or has come to this forum as a beginner, wants to ask a basic question, but is put off by the obvious expertise of contributors? Remember that such a person would remain below the radar, and so an answer is merely an opinion. Mine is Yes, and I could then go on to ask how many such people there might be, and whether a new forum section would be suitable - guess not really. Sorry I mentioned it!
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor,

I don't think anyone can prove that the new readers are put off by the content of this forum.

is it anyone's business why the new readers won't post questions??

should they feel fine posting questions? of course.

but they have to post a question in the first place in order to get feed back. and remember, this forum wasn't active for how long?? there was a break in the action, so to speak.

maybe a poll should be put up for anyone who hasn't posted yet, whether the content of the forum is scaring them off.
Victor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm_norm says:
Quote:
I don't think anyone can prove that the new readers are put off by the content of this forum.
That's s a true statement, but so is this:
Nobody can prove that new readers are not put off by the content of this forum..

As I said, having thought about it, I don't think having a new forum section is sensible. I'd still bet my bottom dollar that at least a few people are put off - safe bet, for it can never be disproven.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor wrote:
Storm_norm says:
Quote:
That's s a true statement, but so is this:
Nobody can prove that new readers are not put off by the content of this forum..

As I said, having thought about it, I don't think having a new forum section is sensible. I'd still bet my bottom dollar that at least a few people are put off - safe bet, for it can never be disproven.

I agree that nobody can prove anything. But consider this: the site continues to publish Easy, Medium and Hard puzzles, whereas most forum members would probably prefer a Very Hard every day.

I have to assume that Sam continues with those easier puzzles because click counts show that people are using them. So there are numerous people out there who are doing those puzzles and not participating on the forum. Whether or not they are put off by the forum content is impossible to know.
cgordon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
whereas most forum members would probably prefer a Very Hard every day.

I agree with that ! Moreover it’s clear that forum interest is exclusively focused on the Very Hards. Though even that might fade away if we continue with the present dearth – only 3 VHs in 18 days !!! That’s assuming I get one tomorrow.
I might have to listen to my missus and get a life.
nataraj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:

I have to assume that Sam continues with those easier puzzles because click counts show that people are using them.

I think so, too. And it is a good thing he does! Solving Sudoku can be

- boring routine
- entertaining and still exercising the mind
- challenging

For me, the vh puzzles are definitely in the second category. Sure I would like more of them. But in the end it all comes down to scanning for naked pairs, triplets, a hidden single here and there, and the "quota" xy-wing.

Not too different, really from those easier puzzles where only box/line interactions are needed. You know exactly what to look for. Only with the VHs it takes a bit longer - sometimes. But I actually enjoy a good "only hard" from The Times or other sources just as much or even more than some run of the mill vh with straight no-brain singles pairs and stuff and then - one xy-wing and 2 minutes later the thing is solved.

Back to the topic of the discussion here: would I post about those enjoyable but very straightforward "hard" puzzles? No. Would I miss them? Definitely.

And I do not quite agree with the theory that the "action" is mostly on vh puzzles (that would be the "daily" section). Check it out. The action is in "other puzzles". My guess, why: because those puzzles still present challenges to most of us. We do not know in advance how to solve them. We can disuss about different attacks. Maybe discover new techniques. Share frustration and success. And - of course - Wink because there are so few very hards Very Happy
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I do not quite agree with the theory that the "action" is mostly on vh puzzles (that would be the "daily" section). Check it out. The action is in "other puzzles". My guess, why: because those puzzles still present challenges to most of us. We do not know in advance how to solve them. We can disuss about different attacks. Maybe discover new techniques. Share frustration and success. And - of course - Wink because there are so few very hards Very Happy

I guess it depends on how you define "action." On the Daily Forum there is a thread on virtually every VH puzzle and these threads often run to more than 20 replies. Even though we know that they can be solved with X, XY and XYZ, people use many different techniques which get discussed there.
cgordon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my last two cents.

I can easily find "hard" sudokus every day in any one of my three daily Canadian newspapers - but I can never find any trick-needing "Very Hards". (incl US papers)

There seems to be a regular crowd of 500 to 2500 who view the 'Very Hards'. There's an obvious interest here in going beyond the pairs, triples and line/box stuff.

Why not have a separate and daily screen that just offers the Very Hards? (That sounds elitist - which my posts have demonstrated I ain't)

It just seems there's a distinctly separate dividing line between the VH levels and the sub-VH levels.

Separate sudoku - separate forum I say.
nataraj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:

I guess it depends on how you define "action."

Right, of course. I was going to put that in last night but got interrupted so I just hit submit. What I meant was just the number of threads that is very obvious upon opening the sections. "More", nothing else. Not "better". And strictly with reference to "it’s clear that forum interest is exclusively focused on the Very Hards". Of course, in "other" there are mostly discussions about very hard puzzles (even beyond "Very Hard", sometimes about "just 'hard'" (Man this is getting complicated, got to be very careful about when to spell Very Hard and when to spell very hard Rolling Eyes )

Daily: Number of threads posted to this year: 5 (total replies 55) including today's
Other: Number of threads posted to this year: 31 (total replies around 180)

never mind

Let's just be friends and post about sudoku and related topics. I am no friend of continued meta-discussions.
keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Moved the thread Reply with quote

I moved this thread, because I think this conversatiion is important, and it should not be buried by the daily other puzzle discussion.

Keith
keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgordon wrote:
whereas most forum members would probably prefer a Very Hard every day.

... and a bunch of naked singles or naked pairs?

My wife passed by my computer, misinterpreted what she saw ...

Keith
24 hours? NE!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind, I'll give my perspective from a "First time poster" to this site - my $.02

I went through a SuDoku phase about 2 years ago and was a regular on the puzzle page. I was doing everything I could get my hands on and having fun. I became very busy and, unfortunately, SuDoku got set to the side. I'm still interested and I remember this site so I've stopped by again. I would still consider myself a beginner and haven't delved into the VH puzzles - I'd much rather accomplish a puzzle with my limited time and would only complete a longer puzzle if I had already invested a lot of time.

I'm not shy about posting, I'm a regular at woodworking forums, so this might not be your exact target, but this is what I see.

If I wanted to learn more about solving puzzles, I would check out the discussions already posted and develop my skills. No need to ask questions on the basic puzzles - the tutorials are great (and there are lots of sites to find out information).

As I get into the more challenging puzzles I might have a question on a particular puzzle, so asking a specific question may be in order. If so, my first post on that puzzle would be important. If I get shot down, snubbed, ignored or insulted I wouldn't show up again. If I receive a response, even if it is a little over my head, but someone is willing to work with me, I'll continue to ask. - I haven't felt any of these myself, but I'm sure others would feel the same way - so tailor your responses based on the individual asking them.

All that being said, I don't think you would find me posting much about SuDoku puzzles because I just don't have the time to invest in the VH puzzles, a hard one here and there, so I'm not inclined to post, but just to glean information. Those that have been hooked on the more difficult puzzles are the ones who will stick around and post.

I am getting interested in the Nurikabe puzzles, so I may be looking for more discussion on those - so a Nurikabe forum would be cool (and new puzzles if that's a possibility, but I've got a long ways to catch up already).

Sounds like more than $.02 now that I look back at it, so I hope that gives a perspective. I like this site, so I'll be perusing/gleaning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: