dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOTT-lite
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: MOTT-lite Reply with quote

M3782391 (41)
Code:

+-------+-------+-------+
| . . . | . 6 . | . . 3 |
| . . . | 4 . 1 | . . 6 |
| . . 4 | . 9 . | . . . |
| 1 . . | 5 7 . | 3 . . |
| 5 6 . | 9 . 8 | . 7 2 |
| . . 9 | . 2 3 | . . 5 |
| . . . | . 8 . | 7 . . |
| . . . | 7 . 9 | . . . |
| 9 1 . | . 3 . | . . . |

Play this puzzle online
From my stack of solved puzzles, marked "No X--- wings, 3 moves." Forgotten how I did it, but certainly standard techniques.
nataraj

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no x-(xy-, xyz-) wing, indeed

After basics,

Code:

+--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| 2       9       1        | 8       6       7        | 45      45      3        |
| 37      37      8        | 4       5       1        | 9       2       6        |
| 6       5       4        | 3       9       2        | 18      18      7        |
+--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| 1       48*     2        | 5       7       46#*     | 3       4689    -4-89    |
| 5       6       3        | 9       14#     8        | 14      7       2        |
| 478     478     9        | 16      2       3        | 1468    1468    5        |
| 34      234     56       | 12      8       56       | 7       39      19       |
| 38      238     56       | 7       14#     9        | 256     356     14#      |
| 9       1       7        | 26      3       456*     | 24568   4568    48*      |

1. a w-wing (48 in r4c2 and r9c9, strong link on 4 in col 6, marked *) removes 8 from r4c9

2. a skyscraper (4, rows 5,8 ) or - using the abundance of {1,4} cells, an xy-chain (marked # - is this the elusive M-wing ?)
both the skyscraper and the chain remove 4 from r4c9, so take your pick...

=> r4c9=9 and singles till the end ...
nataraj

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nataraj wrote:
an xy-chain (marked # - is this the elusive M-wing ?)

I read up on M-wings. It is - not the "elusive" M-wing, but - the classic M-wing.

Slowly getting the hang of it ... Smile
Victor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nataraj queried:
Quote:
is this the elusive M-wing ?
I don't see one (which doesn't mean it's not there!). What you do have are classic 'remote pairs': if you start with the bottom right 14, left, up, and back to r5c7 (all 14s), you have 3 steps of a colouring chain in either number: so any 1 or 4 that the end cells see is toast. In this case, that kills the 4s in r4c9 & r9c7.

For the info of anyone reading this, here's a definite M-wing. Boxes 7 to 9:
Code:
| 4       37      9        | 38#     2       1        | 5       78*     6        |
| 36      136     2        | 5       39      78*      | 48      14789   17       |
| 5       17      8        | 69      4       67       | 3       179     2        |

It's two steps in 8s between the two *d 78s, via #: so they must both be 8s or both not-8s,i.e. 7s, no other possibility. That means that one more step in 7 will give the equivalent of a 3-step colouring chain. So step down one from the bottom left 78 to r9c6. Now one of this cell and the top right 78 must be true: so we can eliminate the 7 they both see, from the 179 in r9c8.
nataraj

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummer.
And just when I thought I had it all figured out ...

Let me take it one step at a time.

I start at r8c9. 14. OK
Go left, go up: 14 at r5c5.

So far, I think I follow the M-wing logic: the two cells r8c9 and r5c5 must always have the same solution.

Now I go one cell further, but not r5c7 but r4c6 ("46")
r5c5 and r4c6 have a strong link in 4.

The whole chain reads: If r8c9<>4 then r5c5<>4 (same solution) then (strong link) r4c6=4. Which I thought was the essence of an M-wing: two conjugates and a strong link. Where did I go wrong?
Victor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well . . . , the chain in 4s from r8c9 to r4c6 is just a 3-step colouring chain: one end is definitely 4, the other end definitely not-4. So yes, you can eliminate any 4 they both see.

If it were a true M-wing you'd get from r8c9 to r5c5 in 1s only, and then swap to 4s, i.e. if r8c5 were 1x (where x <> 4). I.e. 2 conjugate steps in 1s from one 14 to the other 14 and then, as you say, one more conjugate step, now in 4s.
tlanglet

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nataraj and Victor,

I am very much still in the learning mode and reviewed this discussion with great interest. I believe that you are both correct. (If not, then I am more confused that I had hoped.)

I think we have both a classic "remote pair" and an M-wing condition sharing the first two links in the sequence; the <14> in r8c9, r8c5, and r5c5. If the <14> sequence is continued to the <14> in r5c7, we have a "remote pair" which will eliminate all <1> and <4> values seen by both r8c9 and r5c7. If the sequence is continued to the <46> in r4c6, we have an M-wing which will only eliminate any <4> seen by r8c9 and r4c6.

If I am correct, the "remote pair" is a specialized case of an M-wing that eliminates both bivalue candidates. Previously, it was my understanding that all cells involved in a remote pair must contain the same two candidate values but I now believe that only the beginning and ending cells must be the same.

In any case, the logic offered by both of you seems correct to me regardless of what it is called.

Hopefully this will be clarified by those that really know.

Ted

Edit by Ted: Victor, you submitted your last response while I was preparing my comments.
tlanglet

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor wrote:
Well . . . , the chain in 4s from r8c9 to r4c6 is just a 3-step colouring chain: one end is definitely 4, the other end definitely not-4. So yes, you can eliminate any 4 they both see.

If it were a true M-wing you'd get from r8c9 to r5c5 in 1s only, and then swap to 4s, i.e. if r8c5 were 1x (where x <> 4). I.e. 2 conjugate steps in 1s from one 14 to the other 14 and then, as you say, one more conjugate step, now in 4s.

Victor, is the issue then just what to call the sequence noted by nataraj?

What level of name distinction is required/desired for these types of chains?

Ted Question Confused
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember, the classic remote pair is both the m-wing and the w-wing. the classic remote pair is the most specific form of both of these named techniques simply because you have to have the same pair after each conjugate link. then you can expand this relationship of conjugacies to incorporate the w-wing and the M-wing.

if the classic remote pair is not conjugate on each link then its called a xy-chain.

Code:
n...can be any number of candidates

classic Remote Pair...(XY) - (XY) - (XY) - (XY) ...  Either Y on each end is true
                      Pair   Pair   Pair   Pair

the conjugacy is within the cells, these pairs can therefore be weakly linked.

W-wing................(XY) - Xn = Xn - (XY)...  Either Y on each end is true
                      Pair             Pair

notice the remote pair cells do not need to be strongly linked to the middle conjugate x's.

M-wing................(XY) = Xn = (XY) = Y....  Either Y on each end is true
                      Pair        Pair

the X values must all be strongly linked in the first three cells. The Y value in the
fourth cell must be strongly linked to the Y value in the third cell.

nataraj's M-wing......(XY) = (XY) = (XY) = Yn   Either Y on each end is true.
                      (14) = (14) = (14) = (4,6)....  4's eliminate any seen
                      Pair   Pair   Pair

the X values are all conjugate in the first three cells.  the Y value is strongly linked
between the third and fourth cell.
tlanglet

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Norm,

Thanks for the detailed response. It helped clear up the specifics for me, especially the M-wing. Previously, I understood the M-wing to include the condition of the first three cells all being conjugate as in nataraj's M-wing.

So, it is now my understanding that W-wings and M-wings are a special, specific sequence of linked cells that provide eliminations, and that the sequence noted by nataraj simply does not have a "name".

Do we need N-wings? Laughing

Ted

Another day, a little bit smarter about Sudoku (I hope) !
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Ted.

firstly, I have to give a lot of the credit for my sudoku addiction and learning process to the very wings we are discussing and ERs and medusa coloring. if I didn't see Ravel's m-wing here, I would still be somewhat in the dark with some puzzles. and I believe Ravel is the progenitor of the M-wing here on this forum.

nataraj's cells (14)=(14)=(14)=(46) is an m-wing.

but you are right. it just so happens that in this example the first three cells have the same pair.

Quote:
Do we need N-wings?

Ravel's M-wing and the W-wing were given names because
first and foremost...the frequency that they are found in puzzles.
secondly...they are easy to spot... you find one pair, find the same pair elsewhere... find the relationship and the elimination, poof, magic.
thirdly...solving that one puzzle that has everyone fooled with an M-wing with maybe an extra colored end is downright priceless. Cool

finding the patterns is only half... knowing why the chains work in both directions and how this gives the ends pincer-like qualities is the other half.
Victor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravel is one of my gurus, but I think it was Keith who publicised M-wings (tho' maybe that was after Ravel had mentioned the idea - I don't know):
http://www.dailysudoku.com/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2143&sid=4d54d74a9af22f7d18e6d0d37a82ecd4

I guess we all see things in different ways, & so here is the way I look at it, neither better not worse than Norm's, just different. Here's the grid again:
Code:
| 1       48      2        | 5       7       46D      | 3       4689     489     |
| 5       6       3        | 9       4xC     8        | 14      7       2        |
| 478     478     9        | 16      2       3        | 1468    1468    5        |
| 34      234     56       | 12      8       56       | 7       39      19       |
| 38      238     56       | 7       4yB     9        | 256     356     14A      |
| 9       1       7        | 26      3       456      | 24568   4568    48       |

Pretend that what are really 14s have any old number(s), which I've called x and y, instead of the <1>s that are really there. Start with the A and run left and up looking at 4s only. If A is not-4, then B is 4, C is not-4 and finally D must be 4. That works in either direction, whether you start with a 4 or a not-4. Conclusion: one of A & D is 4, the other is not 4, and as ever we can eliminate any 4 they both see, in this case from the 489 cell. I've seen at least 3 names for this technique: simple colouring, singles chain, colouring chain.

Some people like to do it with physical colours. Say you mark the 4 at A with Red. Then the next one at B is the opposite colour, say Green, then C is back to Red, and D is Green.
If you look at any two cells with opposite colours you can say: one is 4, one isn't. This may provide elimination(s).

If you look at any two cells with the same colour you can say: they're both 4, or both not-4. This doesn't provide eliminations, but is the basis for an M-wing.
Here's the grid again
Code:
| 1       48      2        | 5       7       46D      | 3       4689     489     |
| 5       6       3        | 9       14C     8        | 14      7       2        |
| 38      238     56       | 7       1yB      9       | 256     356     14A      |
| 9       1       7        | 26      3       456      | 24568   4568    48       |

Now pretend that B has a 1 & some other number(s), but no 4. Now start with A and colour to B and C, but in 1s instead of 4s. A and C are the same colour: both 1s or both not 1s. Here's the M-wing bit. That means that you can say the same of the 4s in A and C: both true or both false, exactly like two steps in a colouring chain, and so one more step in 4s, to D is OK: we know that A and D are opposite colours now, and can eliminate any 4 they both see.

(Funny enough, tho' I think I've a clearer view of this sort of thing than Nataraj, I'm not nearly as good at doing what seem to me to be much fancier techniques, Medusa / AICs, etc.)
nataraj

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know much more about these wings now that so many helpful explanations have been given. Now that Victor's mentioned Medusa, I remember the reason keith (or was it ravel?) called it an M-wing is that it is a form of mini-Medusa, so to speak. That helps me along, I can relate to that.

And thanks Victor, for pointing out that my 14-14-14-46 chain is in fact a coloring chain (when one looks at the "4"s only). Funny I never looked at it this way...

Indeed the workings of the M-wing are much better explained (like you did with your 1y (B) cell) when the M-wing is not another wing at the same time.

I will try to summarize what - after this thread's crash course - I understand as the essence of an M-wing:

a) like every good Medusa coloring, it starts with a bi-value cell. One of the two candidates will be the pincer, the other will be used for the M-wing, in my mind I call it the "helper".
b) next we need two links for the helper candidate, preferably both strong links (not sure, but I think the elimination will still work if the first link is weak and the second link is strong).
c) the end cell after these two links must be bi-value again, and have the same two candidates as the original cell. Since we were using a weak link-strong link combination, we know that

if original cell = helper, then end cell = helper

(again, I think the elimination will still work if the end cell is not bi-value but at least contains the original two candidates, plus possibly some others. But ... since for me, both w-wing and M-wing are really mostly a pattern based method to spot useful chains, I would rather stick to the original definition, which says that original cell and end cell must be conjugate pairs)

d) from the end cell, there must be a strong link in the pincer candidate to one more cell, the pincer cell.

Since we are using a weak link (within the end cell) and a strong link, we know that:

if end cell = helper then pincer cell = pincer.

putting the parts together, we get:

if original cell is not pincer then pincer cell is pincer.

Written as an AIC, and using Victor's A,B,C...
-A(4=1)-B(1)=C(1-4)=D(4)-

In a nutshell (basically, I like simple patterns! Smile )
The pattern to look for: two identical bi-value cells
If they are linked in a way that they always have the same solution, look for strong link -> M-wing
If they have complementary solutions, they form a W-wing (or remote pair) already
Victor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Nataraj, sounds good, except perhaps for:
Quote:
. . . but I think the elimination will still work if the first link is weak and the second link is strong.
This kind of stuff needs EVERY link to be conjugate (strong). I guess that you could say these singles chains are a subset of x-cycles in general (such as kites), which are themselves subsets of AICs as a whole. One big difference is in the way that the endpoints are related.
If two 4s are at the ends of a singles chain, then you can say: one is true & one is false.
But if there's even one weak link in the chain as in XY-chains/W-wings/kites/etc., then you can say: at least one is true, but you can't rule out the possibility that they're both true. Does this matter? Well, here's one answer to that.

The Chain with No Name. (Well, Keith mentions it in passing in his thread about M-wings and says it's nameless.) Look at the grid again, but thinking of the 14s I've marked A and E as endpoints.
Code:
| 1       48      2        | 5       7       46       | 3       4689     489     |
| 5       6       3        | 9       1xC     8        | 14E     7       2        |
| 38      238     56       | 7       1yB      9       | 256     356     14A      |

Again, pretend that x & y aren't 4s. Now from A to E via B & C is a 3-step singles chain in 1s. So you can say: one of A and E is 1, and the other isn't. Therefore you can also say: one of A & E is 4, the other isn't. (You couldn't say that if the 1s were at the ends of an XY-chain etc.) So you can eliminate any 4s seen by both A & E. But further, in a different grid you might be able to continue colouring in 4s another two steps (or any even number) to get two cells that see a 4 for elimination. Big plus: you could go one step on from EACH endpoint: you couldn't do that if they were at the ends of a W-wing, etc.: you could only colour on an even number of steps from either end.
nataraj

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor, I really appreciate your patience in trying to get the subtleties through my head! It is almost midnight here and I am afraid that my mind is not working at full capacity any more.

I'll be abroad for a few days and not be able to access the forum, so there won't be a reaction from me for some time. I'll take it up again when I come back. For the moment, I am happy to have learned a new method, the M-wing (even if I am still slightly off the mark).

There'll be so many "other" puzzles to solve when I come back! Practice makes perfect...
keith

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ravel is one of my gurus, but I think it was Keith who publicised M-wings (tho' maybe that was after Ravel had mentioned the idea - I don't know):

Actually, this is how it went.

Steve proposed a logic which was initially confused in its explanation or understanding, but which I eventually wrote down as the definition of a W-wing.

A month or two later, we explored Medusa coloring. I found that the simplest Medusa pattern is very much like a W-wing. I named it an M-wing because it is a Medusa pattern, but also because my surname initial is M.

After that, Ravel described a semi-M-wing, or half-M-wing, which I think is a brilliant observation.

I am still thinking about this. While I know an M-wing will be revealed by Medusa coloring, I think that the half M-wing will not.

To be quite honest, these are all not discoveries or inventions. The terminology is a way to describe patterns that help you to recognize chains.

Keith
storm_norm

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Keith.
Victor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thanks Keith.
- echoed.

I think I understand half-M-wings, but I'm not sure. If you're feeling kind, or in didactic mood, I'd be grateful for a brief explanation.
keith

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the end of this thread:

http://www.dailysudoku.com/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2143

You will find an "Appendix" on half-M-wings.

Maybe if you think that the M-wing starts with a complementary pair, where you can add a link on either end, the half-wing allows you to add the link on only one end

Also, look at this:

http://www.dailysudoku.com/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2298

Keith

Asellus

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor wrote:
This kind of stuff needs EVERY link to be conjugate (strong).

Actually, nataraj is correct: the link can be weak. Then, you have the "Half M-Wing."
keith wrote:
I am still thinking about this. While I know an M-wing will be revealed by Medusa coloring, I think that the half M-wing will not.

The Half M-Wing is a simple case of Medusa Multicoloring:
Code:
+----------------+----------------+----------------+
| 59   45   1    | 47   6    79   | 2    3    8    |
| 7    34   8    | 5    34   2    | 1    9    6    |
| 69   36   2    | 1    8    39   | 5    7    4    |
| 156  156  39   | 247 @3a4A 8    |@34B7 16   29   |
| 4    128  39   | 6    5    1-37 | 37   18   29   |
| 126  1268 7    | 24   9    13b  | 3B4b 168  5    |
| 3    9    4    | 8    1    5    | 6    2    7    |
| 12   12   5    | 9    7    6    | 8    4    3    |
| 8    7    6    | 3    2    4    | 9    5    1    |

There is a weak link "AB" "bridge" between the Aa and Bb clusters in the cells marked @. The resulting strong pair is "ab", making the elimination at r5c6.

I guess you could call it an MM-Wing! So, it's more a "double M" Wing than a "half M" Wing. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: