dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK I've got a tuff one

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sideli123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: OK I've got a tuff one Reply with quote

I've been solving evil and very hard puzzles now for months and havent been stumped. I find the doubles and triples but this puzzle has me scratching my head. Can someone help. It starts with this

--- -1- -48
9-- --- 2--
-53 7-- ---

--- --5 96-
3-- -9- --1
-89 4-- ---

--- --6 85-
--2 --- --6
54- -7- ---

I got it to this and can go no further

--7 -1- -48
918 --- 2--
453 7-- 619

--4 --5 96-
3-5 -9- 481
-89 4-- ---

7-1 --6 854
8-2 --- --6
546 -7- ---

Thanks for the help
keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: A route to the solution Reply with quote

There is a pair <26> in R1.

There is a triple <238> in C5.

There is a pair <45> in C5.

One you recognize these, then R6C5 is <6>, R2C4 is <6>, and the rest involves only pinned squares.

I hope this helps.

Keith
David Bryant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: This puzzle has two solutions Reply with quote

Hi, sidelit23! It's nice to hear from you.

You can break through the logjam at this position (below) by using a "double-implication chain." I've only shown the candidate lists that matter for the sake of this argument.
Code:
-   -   7    -   1   -    -   4   8
9   1   8    -   -   -    2   -   -
4   5   3    7  28  28    6   1   9

-   -   4    -   -   5    9   6   -
3   -   5   26   9   -    4   8   1
-   8   9    4  236  -    -   -   -

7  39   1   239 23   6    8   5   4
8   -   2    -   -   -    -   -   6
5   4   6    -   7   -    -   -   -

Let's examine what happens if we set r3c5 = 2. Then

A. r3c5 = 2 ==> r7c5 = 3 ==> r7c2 = 9
B. (r3c5 = 2 & r7c5 = 3) ==> r6c5 = 6 ==> r5c4 = 2 ==> r7c4 = 9

So r3c5 cannot be a "2", and it must be an "8". This value is enough to let you (almost) complete the puzzle. dcb

PS When I got close to the end of this one I ended up with a "swordfish" pattern that could be completed in two different ways. So I think this puzzle has multiple solutions. Oh -- I went back and checked more closely, and I found 6 distinct solutions. You can either find a "swordfish" with {3, 9} pairs or, by making a different choice, you can wind up with two independent "non-unique rectangles", one in {3, 9} and the other in {5, 7}.
David Bryant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: The "uniquity" assumption Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Once you recognize these, then R6C5 is <6>, R2C4 is <6>, and the rest involves only pinned squares. ...

Hi, Keith!

We've had a discussion before about the "non-unique rectangles," and how one can sometimes solve a puzzle by recognizing them, or the closely related "BUG" pattern.

This puzzle is a pretty good example of the logical flaw in those methods. If you continue working through this you'll find a "non-unique rectangle" in r2c7, r2c9, r6c7, & r6c9. And if you make the assumption that the solution is unique you'll obtain a "3" at r2c7.

The only thing is, the solution you'll arrive at when you do this is not unique, because there are six cells in which "3" and "9" are interchangeable.

On top of that, if you assume that r2c7 <> 3 you'll arrive at a different set of solutions, with two embedded "non-unique rectangles."

Just thought you might be interested -- this is an edifying example. dcb
David Bryant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Oops -- I miscopied the puzzle Reply with quote

Oops!

I just realized that I made a mistake when I copied this puzzle -- I inadvertently put the "2" that should be in r2c7 in r2c8 instead. That's why I found multiple solutions.

I still think it (this puzzle with the "2" misplaced) is an interesting example. dcb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: