dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sep 10 VH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuskey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Sep 10 VH Reply with quote

I found a nice 3 stepper after some decent basics:
1. an x-wing on 1 in c69 eliminating 1s at r4c6, r9c6, r8c9 and r9c9 which revealed
2. a 137 xy-wing in a single box on 3 eliminating 3s at r6c6 and r4c6 which opened
3. a 347 xy-wing with a pivot at r9c6 eliminating 4 at r6c9 yielding the solution.
This flowed so nicely I wonder; is there a single stepper?
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This flowed so nicely I wonder; is there a single stepper?

Not that I could find.

Quote:
a 137 xy-wing in a single box on 3 eliminating 3s at r6c6 and r4c6

Most people don't refer to a pattern as an XY-Wing when it's confined to a single row, column or box. I'm assuming you're talking about box 8, which is as follows:

Code:

+-------+---------+-------+
| . . . | .  . .  | . . . |
| . . . | .  . 13 | . . . |
| . . . | 17 . .  | . . . |
| . . . | .  . 37 | . . . |

Play this puzzle online at the Daily Sudoku site

What we have here is known as box-line interactions or locked candidates. The 3 in box 8 must be in column 6, therefore, no other 3s can exist in column 6 outside of box 8. Locked candidates, along with doubles, triples, etc, are considered basics, therefore, your solution would be considered a two-stepper.
peterj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an ugly single-stepper while considering an almost-triple... but only because I was purposely looking for such a move! Not pretty..

Consider the almost-triple (369) in c7. Suppose r4c7 not=4 then the triple exists and forces r1c7=1 => r2c9 not=1 => r2c6=1 (only 1 left in r2). If it's 1 it can't be 9 and so r4c6 must be 9 (only 9 in c6). If it is 9 it can't be 4 so r4c7=4 (only 4 left in r4). Contradicts our initial assumption, so the assumption was wrong and r4c7=4.

Or..
Code:
(4)r4c7=(369)r345c7 - (369=1)r1c7 - (1)r2c9=(1-9)r2c6=(9-4)r4c6=(4)r4c7 contradiction ; r4c7=4

Stick with the x-wing and xy-wing...
kuskey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Sep 10 VH Reply with quote

Marty:

For too long I have been wondering about the 3 bivalue cells that meet the xy-wing requirements except the fact that they share a box. Your comments prodded me to search for a precise definition of the xy-wing. I found exactly that at angusj.com in a note stating that the 3 cells sharing a group (box 8 in this case) are simply a naked triple. The particular alignment of these 3 cells led to a pointing pair reduction of 3s in c6. As you noted, this is a basic tecnique. Thanks for the guidance Marty and the furthering of my Sudoku knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: