dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I solve this without doing trial and error?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Solving techniques, and terminology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artinigam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: How do I solve this without doing trial and error? Reply with quote

Only 4s, 5s, and 6s are remaining. The only way I can think to solve this is to pick a cell that has two possible numbers; randomly pick one, and see if it works; if it doesn't work, go back and try the other one.

Is there a better way?

I am a newbie; thanks for helping.

Marty R.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not very good at solving puzzles without pencil marks, which is the term for writing in a blank cell all the possible numbers that could go in that cell and that's what I would do with this puzzle.

However, there are people who are remarkably adept at solving without pencil marks. Maybe one of them will see your post. From the looks of the grid, it's possible that a BUG+1 will solve it and that's not a random guessing game, it's a legitimate technique.
Artinigam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: But I don't know BUG+1 Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I also mark the possible numbers in the remaining boxes. Every remaining box had at least two of the numbers 4,5,6. I tried reading what BUG+1 means, but I don't know how to use it to solve.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BUG (Bivalue Universal Grave) is when all unsolved cells have two candidates. This is also known as a Deadly Pattern because the numbers can be interchanged so there isn't a unique solution. A BUG+1 is all bivalue cells except for one that has more than two candidates, most of the time three candidates.

You look at which number in the additional cell, if removed, would result in the Deadly Pattern. Since if removed a Deadly Pattern would form, that number is used to solve the cell. Another way to spot it is to use the number that appears three times in the box, row and column.

Hope that helps.
keith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for Box 9, each box has only two unsolved cells, so each cell has two possibilities. In Box 9, the possibilities are 4,5,6. H7 must be 5.

Why? If H7 is not 5 it must be 46. Then, every cell has two possibilities. Pick one value in any cell, the other cells are solved. The puzzle has two solutions. The only way for the puzzle to have a unique solution is H7 = 5.

Or, look for a skyscraper on 5 in BI or in 48

Keith
Artinigam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to Keith Reply with quote

Thank you so much for you reply. I understood everything you said, until you got to Skyscraper. What is a skyscraper?

Thanks again,

Arti.
keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to Keith Reply with quote

Artinigam wrote:
Thank you so much for you reply. I understood everything you said, until you got to Skyscraper. What is a skyscraper?

Thanks again,

Arti.

Look here:

http://www.sudoku9981.com/sudoku-solving/skyscraper.php

and Google: Sudoku skyscraper

Keith
Artinigam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Aha! Reply with quote

Aha! Thank you!
paulekop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to a site called sudokuslam it will explain how to solve this one.
Enter the puzzle and then ask for a "Smart Hint". Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Solving techniques, and terminology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: