dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has to be

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Solving techniques, and terminology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cafoster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Has to be Reply with quote

I use a method of notation and solving I think is called "has to be".
Rather than writing in all the possibilities I first put in just the "has to be " notations. That is numbers that "have to be" in only two squares in a box, as shown in

http://sudokugarden.de/en/solve/manually

This solves most of the puzzles, but for difficult puzzles when progress stops by using just the "has to be" I enter the remaining possibilities and continue.

My problem is that the notation system for your online version does not allow putting in two types of notation. Since the "rules " for "has to be " are different than for possibilities, they must be kept separate. I enter the "has to be" numbers in the bottom of the squares and the possibilities in the top. Would it be possible to add this feature, e.g by using the ctrl key for possibilities and the alt key for "has to be" which would appear in the bottom of the square?
keith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cafoster,

I think it is unlikely that the solver will be changed.

What you describe is a method for identifying box / line interactions.

I solve manually using pencil and paper. I do not track the "have to be" values separately. I put a small underline on the possibilities in the cell if they are also "have to be".

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Solving techniques, and terminology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: