dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monday May 1st 2006 puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denise Roberts

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Monday May 1st 2006 puzzle Reply with quote

okay, i dont get this, i have so far:-

_ 8 _ | 1 9 _ | 6 _ _
_ _ _ | 2 _ 8 | 3 _ 9
9 _ 2 | _ _ 3 | _ 8 1
_ 4 _ | 7 _ 2 | _ 3 _
_ 7 _ | _ 8 _ | _ 1 _
_ 2 _ | 6 _ 9 | _ 7 _
_ 9 _ | 8 _ _ | 1 _ 4
_ _ 8 | 9 _ _ | _ _ _
_ _ 7 | _ 2 1 | _ 9 _

I cannot see any logical place to go next? Am I being thick???
The hint tries to tell me to place a five in row7, column3, but that doesnt make any logical sense as there are lots of places where a five could go at this point.
HELP!!!!!
samgj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Monday May 1st 2006 puzzle Reply with quote

Denise Roberts wrote:
_ 8 _ | 1 9 _ | 6 _ _
_ _ _ | 2 _ 8 | 3 _ 9
9 _ 2 | _ _ 3 | _ 8 1
_ 4 _ | 7 _ 2 | _ 3 _
_ 7 _ | _ 8 _ | _ 1 _
_ 2 _ | 6 _ 9 | _ 7 _
_ 9 _ | 8 _ _ | 1 _ 4
_ _ 8 | 9 _ _ | _ _ _
_ _ 7 | _ 2 1 | _ 9 _

Hey Denise

From your grid it looks like row 7, col 3 can be a 3, 5 or 6. However, in the top and middle left 3x3 boxes, the 3 has to go in cols 1 or 3, which means it must go in col 2 in the bottom left 3x3 box. Similarly, the 6 must go in rows 7 and 8 in the bottom middle and right 3x3 boxes, forcing it into row 9 in the bottom left box. Which leaves 5 as the only option for row 7, col 3.

Not knowing the name for this (or indeed any) techinique means that someone else's explanation may be more useful.

Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Monday May 1st 2006 puzzle Reply with quote

samgj wrote:
Denise Roberts wrote:
_ 8 _ | 1 9 _ | 6 _ _
_ _ _ | 2 _ 8 | 3 _ 9
9 _ 2 | _ _ 3 | _ 8 1
_ 4 _ | 7 _ 2 | _ 3 _
_ 7 _ | _ 8 _ | _ 1 _
_ 2 _ | 6 _ 9 | _ 7 _
_ 9 _ | 8 _ _ | 1 _ 4
_ _ 8 | 9 _ _ | _ _ _
_ _ 7 | _ 2 1 | _ 9 _

Hey Denise

From your grid it looks like row 7, col 3 can be a 3, 5 or 6. However, in the top and middle left 3x3 boxes, the 3 has to go in cols 1 or 3, which means it must go in col 2 in the bottom left 3x3 box. Similarly, the 6 must go in rows 7 and 8 in the bottom middle and right 3x3 boxes, forcing it into row 9 in the bottom left box. Which leaves 5 as the only option for row 7, col 3.

Not knowing the name for this (or indeed any) techinique means that someone else's explanation may be more useful.

Sam

I understand what you say with regards to the #3 being in cols 1 or 3 (never thought of that - ta!) however, the 6 according to my calcs can go in row 7,8 or 9 in the bottom right 3x3 box - so i'm still lost!!!!
Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow - I've got brain freeze - aaaah!

Thanks for your reply Sam, it's good to know someone cares!!! Laughing
samgj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Monday May 1st 2006 puzzle Reply with quote

Denise Roberts wrote:

I understand what you say with regards to the #3 being in cols 1 or 3 (never thought of that - ta!) however, the 6 according to my calcs can go in row 7,8 or 9 in the bottom right 3x3 box - so i'm still lost!!!!

Ah -- there's a small step between. The 6 has to go in col 9 in the middle right box, and is therefore excluded from col 7 and 9 (and hence row 9) in the bottom right box.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Monday May 1st 2006 puzzle Reply with quote

samgj wrote:
Denise Roberts wrote:

Ah -- there's a small step between. The 6 has to go in col 9 in the middle right box, and is therefore excluded from col 7 and 9 (and hence row 9) in the bottom right box.

So, after a couple of hours of shopping (therapy!!!!), I've come back, and it all makes sense!!! Tee hee.....can you tell I'm a beginner? NOOOOO! Shocked
Thanks Sam, may your Bank Holiday Mondays always peaceful from now and forever more! Wink
keith

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Harder than hard? Reply with quote

Sam,

Maybe I am a little off my game today, but I found the May 1 puzzle to be harder than most.

Keith
crick

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: may 1st puzzle Reply with quote

I would agree, it did seem very hard. Without going into all the hoary old arguments of 'how do you grade a puzzle', and 'what is easy for one person is hard for another', the grading of these puzzles does seem to be getting rather eratic. Unless of course I am becoming senile, which is quite possible.
ravel

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Monday May 1st 2006 puzzle Reply with quote

samgj wrote:

For those, who are interested in the names:
Since (because of the 3's in r2c7 and r3c6) in column 2 the 3 only can be in r8c2 or r9c2 of box 7 (left/bottom), it must be there and cannot go to other cells of that box (r7c1,r7c3,r8c1,r9c1). This is called box/box interaction or locked candidates 2.
Since (because of the 6 in r1c7) the 6 in box 6 (middle/right) can only be in column 9, it must be there and cannot be elsewhere in this column, in this case not in r8c9 or r9c9. This is called box/line interaction or locked candidates 1.
So (because of the 6's in r6c4 and r1c7 and the latter) the 6 in row 9 must be in r9c1 or r9c2, which gives another box/box interaction - it cannot go to the rest of box 7 (bottom/left).

Since both are elementary techniques, i understand the low rating (by a program). But the problem is that some singles or interactions are much harder to spot than others (and in this case also one depends on the other and all 3 give a single), what most programs do not take into account (is not easy also).

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: May 1st puzzle Reply with quote

i've only done 2 of these (hard) puzzles.....and this was by far the (hardest)..... i've doing better on May 2nd very hard puzzle then this one.
I finally had to take a hint. And from there I was good. I'm done this one now. But i fell guilty for cheating.

back to the drawing board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: