dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 solutions to the same puzzle????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helen elford

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: 2 solutions to the same puzzle???? Reply with quote

the Australian Puzzler Issue 117 puzzle 55 and possibly 56 has two solutions to the same puzzle. I checked on my sudoku computer and both appear right. Has anyone else come across this. A scientist was asked the question once and said the probability of two solutions to the same puzzle was astronomical. I would love to hear from others two have experienced what I have in this regard. helen. Exclamation Question
azoundria

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Some puzzles would have multiple solutions.

An empty puzzle has all possible placements of the numbers as solutions.

If you add a single number, there is now a smaller subset of solutions.

Each additional number reduces the possibilities.

You could eventually reduce that number to just one solution, or you could leave the puzzle in such a way that multiple solutions are correct. Puzzles with multiple solutions are harder because at some point you have to do a bit of guesswork to reach one of the solutions.
keith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post the puzzle we can comment. Multiple solutions are quite common, but published puzzles should be screened so they only have a single solution.

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: