dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distribution of Very Hard Puzzles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should there be more VERY HARD puzzles on this site?
YES
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
NO
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Aldoredo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Distribution of Very Hard Puzzles Reply with quote

As far as I can tell the level of difficulty of the daily (9 x 9) puzzle is randomly chosen from the 4 levels - easy, medium, hard and very hard - with the rider that there are never two consecutive days at the same level....

So far this year we've had 66 puzzles classified as 'very hard' - that's 27% of the 226 published, suggesting that an equal weighting is given to each of the 4 levels.

This distribution probably seemed sensible 10 years ago when solving techniques were in their infancy but (judging by the puzzles discussed in the forum) most of us move fairly rapidly though the easy and medium levels to the point where for hardcore Suduko addicts, only the very hard puzzles will do. Beginners can go back in the archive for easy and medium puzzles until they progress but, sad as this is, I have done all the VH ones!

I believe the designers of the site moved on long ago (they don't answer emails, anyway) but I am wondering if anyone out there agrees with me - and if there is sufficient support - does anyone have the means to change the E-M-H-VH distribution to say 5% - 15% - 40% - 40% ?

Aldoredo

Last edited by Aldoredo on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
bat999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Distribution of Very Hard Puzzles Reply with quote

Aldoredo wrote:
...I believe the designers of the site moved on long ago...

Maybe Rolling Eyes

There are daily puzzles at http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/
Usually they're >= dailysudoku.com vh. Cool
Have you tried them?
Aldoredo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bat999 - I have the Enjoy Sudoko app (Android) and love it!

Its hints & explanations are really useful in learning new techniques - though I find the info you get on completion ("Your time was faster than xx% people", where xx% is 3% in my case) really disheartening. There are apparently hundreds of people out there who can solve "devious" puzzles in 3 -5 minutes. I couldn't tap the solution straight in and get anywhere near that speed!

I digress - I still like Daily Sudoko 'cos the PDFs are really easy to print and do on the train!
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody but the site owner has the means to change the distribution of the various rating levels. He has been an absentee owner for quite some time. He knows that only the VH's (with an occasional exception) are discussed on the forum. I never asked, but I've assumed that click counts tell him that people are doing the easier puzzles. Every so often there is a site problem and we see complaints from people who never post, so we know that there are lurkers who are doing the puzzles.

Quote:

I digress - I still like Daily Sudoko 'cos the PDFs are really easy to print and do on the train!

I agree. I'd hate to be without the Draw/Play and the .pdfs, I use those features all the time when doing the puzzles from the enjoy.sudoku site.
bat999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldoredo wrote:
...I have the Enjoy Sudoko app (Android) and love it!

I digress
Question Question

There are daily puzzles at http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/
Usually they're >= dailysudoku.com vh. Cool
Have you tried them?
Aldoredo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhha Bat999 - you mean enjoysudoku the forum, as opposed to enjoysudoku the app (which remains excellent)...

No, I haven't tried the daily puzzles yet but will be sure to give them a go, particularly as they are linked back to DS and can therefore be printed.
bat999

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldoredo wrote:
... you mean enjoysudoku the forum, as opposed to enjoysudoku the app...
Yup Smile

The guys on that forum post "one-stepper" solutions. Cool
But there's no need for you to do that - yet. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: