dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I know Marty was wondering when I would complain...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dongrave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: I know Marty was wondering when I would complain... Reply with quote

Hi Marty, I know you were wondering to yourself "When is that Don guy going to complain?" I know you were! Not me! Not this time of the year! No, sirree. I was wondering though what the world record is for the fewest VH's in a month. And you know what else? If we don't get a VH tomorrow, that'll make it the 12th consecutive day - which will officially put the odds over 1 in a million! That's the problem with these darn computer generated 'random numbers'. I once played a game of backgammon against a computer and I didn't get a 6 for 17 straight throws. That would never happen throwing real dice. ugh.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, I wasn't thinking about you complaining, but the long non-VH streak is very noticeable, maybe a record.
dongrave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tendency to exaggerate sometimes ("over 1 in a million"). After I posted that I began wondering what the real odds were. We know that the day after the VH could not be a VH and then for the next 11 days there was a 2/3 chance of it not being a VH (because it could also not be the same rating as the day before) so I guess that would put the real odds at around 1% (i.e. 2/3 raised to the 11th power). Still pretty unusual but I do have to stop exaggerating so much. What I found even more unusual is that every other day this month has been a 'Hard'.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I found even more unusual is that every other day this month has been a 'Hard'.

OK, you're the mathematician. What were the chances of that happening?

But that is a very interesting phenomenon.
dongrave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you know that I was a mathematician Marty? I never said that, did I? Anyway, I'm not a 'real' mathematician (my dad was the math genius, not me). I got a degree in math but I ended up in the computer industry instead.

Oh well, enough about that. This month's H's are something! At first glance I thought to myself 'Okay, 9 H's in a row - and it hit every time that it was possible - with a 1 out of 3 chance each time - and it hit 9 times in a row - so 1/3 raised to the 9th power is... Hmmm, my calculator must be screwed up. 5 out of 100,000 which is 1 out of 20,000? That's insane. (Far worse than my backgammon game.) Hey! Wait a minute! The 1st day of the month wasn't 1 out of 3; it was 1 out of 4 which would make the odds even worse? That can't be right. That works out to 1/4 multiplied by (1/3 raised to the 8th power) which equals 3.8 x 10 to the negative 5th power?' That can't be right! That's really insane! Could someone out there check my math and correct me if I'm wrong?
Marty R.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't check it. All I know is the VH thing is now up to 2/3 to the 12th power.

I don't know how to calculate the chances of the H phenomenon. I'll let you know if I figure something out.
dongrave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't come to this site for you to check for math errors Marty! We come here for your Sudoku expertise! Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: